When we planned our orchards, we planned on having one side of our farm driveway as an area for stone fruit, and also apples, pears, and figs. The other side was to be for grape vines and citrus. Well the first side has been in for about 5 years now, and is growing nicely. On the other side, we decided to first plant a couple of rows of natives to act as a wind break, as it does get a lot of wind from the south west.
Well the natives have been planted, so I visited our local nursery a couple of weeks ago, and picked up 6 varieties of grapes. I loaded to garden cart up with some fresh compost (the soil is not great over ther), the shovel, trowel, kneeling pad and grapevines, and headed over to plant them.
As I started digging the first hole, I noticed it was extremely wet. I knew we hadn’t had enough rainfall lately to account for this much moisture in the soil, and sure enough, when, I wandered up the hill, it got wetter and wetter until finally I traced it to a leaking water pipe.
Although it wasn’t that warm, Jessie, one of our kelpies, felt the need to cool down in the puddles. After digging a trench so the water could drain away, I discovered that a “t-piece” joiner had split, so I replace it, and that did the trick.
Unfortunately though the ground was waterlogged, so I had to wait a couple of days before I could get back to planting the grapevines. But they are all in now, and hopefully some warm spring weather will encourage them to shoot.