I couldn’t write about this yesterday, it was too stressful! I mentioned on Tuesday’s post that the weather was blustery. It turned out that it was the windiest day we had had in a very long time! So much so, that our wonderful new DIY chook pen blew over. I couldn’t believe it. I was coming back from going around our lambing ewes (with two new orphan lambs, but that can be tomorrow’s story) and as I pulled back up to the house, I was greeted with this sight…..
Actually I took this photo after I had walked around the yard collecting all the stuff that was supposed to be in the vegie garden half of the shed – it was spread all over the place, as was various feed and water dishes. And you can see the little chicken cage had got caught up and lifted up in the air!
It had blown right over and was resting on its gutter and the nesting boxes. The chooks didn’t seem too phased and we’re still just pecking around as normal. In fact the roosters thought it was great because they had access to the girls again! Segregation was over!!
I texted a couple of pics to Cam, but he couldn’t get home until about 6pm, so it was dark by the time we attempted to right it again. Again the chooks were unphased, and were perfectly happy to roost on a capsized house!
As you can see, he drove the tractor right up to it, and chained it to the forks. Then it was just a matter of slowly driving backwards, and lowering the forks at the same time. Some of the chooks had decided by this time that they would wake up and get involved (complaining loudly they were, too) so while Cam was lowering their house my job was to make sure they didn’t get squished!
it was still blowing a gale as we were doing this, so we left the tractor in position to stop it from happening again. This is how it still looks now! Even though the weather has calmed down I’ve been too nervous to move the tractor away, until Cam has time to drive some solid posts into the ground to anchor it down.
We still have a bit of work to do, to put the panels back in position for their yard, and straighten up the gutter so we keep collecting rain from the roof. But at least it’s operational again. I restocked the nesting boxes with straw this morning, and carted their feed and water drums back into position. The amazing thing was we still got 7 eggs from them on the day it blew over!